uni 2 beyond is an innovative and award-winning social inclusion initiative for people with intellectual disability who want to experience university life. Through uni 2 beyond, participants are supported to take part in university life as audit (non-enrolled) students. uni 2 beyond supports each participant to make social connections through a mentoring program and to work towards individual learning outcomes. As non-enrolled students, uni 2 beyond participants do not pay tuition fees to the university.
uni 2 beyond aims to build the capacity of people with intellectual disability in the areas of social and community participation, relationships and lifelong learning. uni 2 beyond does this by offering its participants an individualised program, which includes:
- Facilitated social inclusion activities on the university campus
- Peer mentoring for social and community participation and learning
- Opportunities to join university clubs and societies, for social engagement with peers and lifelong learning
- Auditing of university lectures and tutorials in areas of personal choice and interest
- Person-centred planning
- Support to work towards individualised learning outcomes that suit each person’s strengths and interests
- Internship opportunities to enhance work skills and confidence as well as social and community participation.