Person Centred Planning and Graphic Recording Workshop – The PATH Process
PATH is a person centred planning tool to graphically map out a desirable future for an individual with or without a disability. Part of the unique strength of this process is the colourful visual record that is created which is dynamic, affirming, motivating and action oriented. PATH specifies achievable goals and clarifies the first steps for their implementation.
PATH explores and identifies:
- the current situation
- short and long term goals
- where support may come from
- possible obstacles
- first steps for action
PATH is an action template that uses graphic imagery and facilitated discussion leading to positive plans that achieve commitment and generate outcomes. Such plans can be facilitated for individuals, groups and organisations.
This workshops covers:
- The use of graphics as a recording tool, including words and colour, transforming basic shapes into representative figures and people and expressions
- The role of the graphic recorder, and contexts for use
- Basic facilitation skills
- The origins and structure of PATH as a planning tool
- The working relationship between the process facilitator and the graphic recorder, and the Pathfinder
Participants will observe Debbie Espiner and Ray Murray facilitate and graphically record a PATH before then having the opportunity to experience PATH in each of the three roles – as the Pathfinder, the process facilitator and the graphic recorder.
At the conclusion of the workshop participants will be ready to use PATH as a person centred planning tool for the people they support.
About the Facilitators:
Debbie Espiner, an independent Disability Consultant and Facilitator, had extensive experience in training human service personnel, teachers (including Special Education), parents, consultants, psychologists and therapists throughout Australia, New Zealand and Ireland.
Ray Murray is a training consultant to the Centre for Disability Studies and is currently leading the delivery of the Person Centred Professional Development Program for Person Centred Champions.
Link to Flyer: CDS_PATH