Medical Practitioner - Intellectual Disability
- Part time – up to 1.5 days per week (mix of direct clinical & admin time)
- Opportunity to give back to the community
- Location – Strathfield
- Contractor role
People with intellectual disability have greater complexity of needs and higher risk of health inequities including preventable hospitalisations and avoidable deaths.
Do you want to work for an organisation who is committed to providing quality healthcare services for adults with an intellectual disability and improving their quality of life?
We have a rewarding opportunity for a Medical Practitioner with a passion for working with adults with intellectual disability. The position would be based at our community intellectual disability health clinic in Strathfield. The position would suit a General Practitioner or Rehabilitation Physician.
The Centre for Disability Studies (CDS) is a not-for-profit research and education organisation that is affiliated with the University of Sydney. Our vision and mission is to create and disseminate knowledge that would improve the lives of people with intellectual disability. We achieve this through designing and developing research, teaching, and clinical practice to inform disability policy and practice.
CDS has an extensive history with providing specialist healthcare services to people with an intellectual disability, having operated the Development Disability Health Unit (DDHU) out of Royal Rehabilitation Centre Sydney since 1998. A new clinic is being established, the Complex Care Service, and will provide face to face and/or telehealth consultation for adults with intellectual disability with complex health needs. It will provide time limited comprehensive health assessments and health care planning, with the patients being referred back to their GP for ongoing care. The Complex Care Service will run a Clinical Nurse Consultant (CNC) led clinic one day per week with the medical practitioner and CNC present. The CNC will coordinate the intake and management of referrals, as well as gathering background information and appointment follow-up.
The Complex Care Service is funded by the Ministry of Health via a Ministerial Approved Grant (MAG) until June 2024.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
- The Medical Practitioner will work closely with the clinic team, including the CNC (who will lead the clinic model) and allied health clinicians as required.
- Health assessment and care coordination for adults with intellectual disability and complex health needs.
- Liaison with general health and disability services.
- Organising investigations and internal and external referrals as required.
- Providing timely and comprehensive written reports to referring doctors, families, and disability organisations, using the clinic report templates.
- Participating in education, reporting and evaluation activities of the service.
- Current registration with the Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA).
- Experience in providing assessment and consultation for adults with intellectual disability and complex physical and or mental health/ behavioural conditions.
- A commitment to provide quality healthcare services to adults with intellectual disability accessing the service.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills with clinic staff, external agencies, people with intellectual disability and their families.
- Evidence of Medical Indemnity Insurance cover.
- National Police Check (or willingness to obtain).
- Eligibility to provide services under Medicare and be willing to bulk bill.
* Please note, applications will only be accepted from candidates who have either permanent residency or Australian citizenship, unrestricted medical board registration and no restrictions on their Medicare provider number.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Abby Watt (Clinical Services Manager) email@example.com or 0437 291 461
Apply on Seek
To apply for this role, please follow this link to Seek and click Apply Now.
Please submit your application online. This should include your cover letter addressing the selection criteria as well as your resume detailing your qualifications and experience.