What is uni 2 beyond?
uni 2 beyond, formerly known as the Inclusive Education Program, is an innovative and award-winning initiative that supports people with intellectual disability to experience university life at the University of Sydney. Students attend lectures and tutorials of their choice as audit students, and participate in university social life through engagement with their peers. uni 2 beyond works with its students to reach their potential, increasing their capability to make a contribution to society and gain independence.
Article 24 (Education) of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) underpins access to education for people with disability with a human rights framework. Based on this premise, CDS founded uni 2 beyond in 2012 at the University of Sydney.
uni 2 beyond offers its students an individualised program which includes:
- participation in university lectures and tutorials
- one on one tutorial support to work towards individualised learning outcomes that that suit each student’s strengths and abilities
- social engagement with peers at the University of Sydney
- peer mentoring
- person-centred planning
- internship opportunities to enhance employability skills and create connections to support the transition to employment
Each uni 2 beyond student is matched with a peer mentor, who provides support and guidance in academic and social settings. The mentoring program aims to enhance the students’ sense of belonging at university. It is also an opportunity for mentors to develop advocacy skills and support social inclusion.
uni 2 beyond was awarded the Excellence in Education & Training award at the 2017 National Disability Awards.
uni 2 beyond was awarded 2016 Innovative Practice on Inclusive Education and ICT by the Zero Project and won the 2017 NSW Disability Industry Innovation Award in the category Leadership in Community Accessibility and Inclusion.
- Want to go to university?
- Information for mentoring in uni 2 beyond
- Partners and Supporters
- uni 2 beyond Staff
Like and follow us on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter: